In various industrial applications particularly in the forestry applications, there is a need for strong winch ropes. You will find that synthetic winch ropes are very widely used in forestry equipment and there are few good reasons for that.
If you want to buy any treuils (English meaning is winch) rope then you can get both metal winch as well as synthetic winch, but mostly people prefer to buy synthetic winch rope.
Let us now look at few of the plus points of these synthetic winch ropes in the following paragraphs.
- You will find that synthetic winch ropes are much lighter and yet much stronger than other counterparts.
- Synthetic winch ropes are also much safe to use.
- Even if you are using it in very hot or very cold climate, you will not find it difficult to handle them.
- Strength of any synthetic winch rope will be 30% to 90% more as compared to any steel or other metallic cable.
- It can be washed with soap water to keep it clean.
- Unlike metallic winch, this will never corrode.
- In case any problem is developed in the field then it can be repaired in the field.
- Synthetic winch rope dies not store too much energy like any metal cable.
- Since it is bad conductor so there is no danger if it gets connected accidentally with electric line.
- Synthetic winch rope need not to be spooled while storing them as it does not crimp or kink.
- Synthetic winch ropes are not prone to splinter or burrs.
While using this synthetic winch rope, you need to observe one precaution. Make sure that when you are using synthetic rope along with the winch, it should not be overheated so that its fibers may not get degraded.
One way you can check for this kind of damage is by unspooling the rope and try to examine few portions of its first layer on winch spool. Your rope must still feel quite pliable and its strands must have the ability of moving apart freely.
Few rope suppliers may also prefer to use certain heat-protective sheath on initial drum layer of the rope as guard against the heat degradation of the rope.
It is therefore recommended that rope temperature must be allowed to stay below around 160ᵒ F in order to prevent its degradation. Therefore, in essence, a colder rope will be much stronger, and a hotter rope can be bit weaker.