If you were injured in Philadelphia because of someone’s intent or fault, Pennsylvania laws allow you to recover compensation from the at-fault party. This could refer to anything from product defect-related injuries and medical malpractice to car accidents. Pennsylvania’s auto insurance system is more of a hybrid one. Drivers can decide if they want to get “Limited Tort” coverage or “Full Tort” coverage, determining what they can recover from the other at-fault driver after an accident. Regardless of the type of personal injury claim you have, hiring a lawyer is important. We have a questionnaire below for selecting Philadelphia, PA personal injury attorneys.
- “What kind of experience do you have?” This is probably the most important question a client can ask. The domain of personal injury law is huge, and you need an attorney who has relevant experience. For instance, if you want to file a truck accident lawsuit, you need someone who has handled similar cases in the past. Each type of personal injury case is unique.
- “Will you work on my case?” Many lawyers often work for the same law firm. You may meet an attorney for the first consultation, but the lawyer may assign the case to an associate. Asking about availability is a good idea. Even when the lawyer has passed the case to someone else, you should have access to the attorney.
- “How much would you charge? What are the other expenses?” Usually, lawyers in Pennsylvania work on a contingency fee for all personal injury cases. In such an arrangement, you will pay a fixed percentage of the financial settlement you get, but only when you win. However, getting a heads up is a good idea. Ask the lawyer if they can help you with the expenses related to the investigation.
- “What is the worth of my claim? Do you expect a trial?” Most personal injury cases are settled outside of court. Going to court for a trial could be a harrowing and extensive experience for everyone. Your lawyer should share the worth of your claim and the possibility of the matter going to court.
- “How long will it take to settle the case?” The answer to this question depends on several factors, but your lawyer can offer an expected outline.
Remember that you should get a personal injury lawyer immediately to improve your chances of getting a decent settlement.