For most businesses in Australia, the search engine optimisation (SEO) company you choose to partner with can really make or break your success in digital marketing. While some organisations may opt for in-house SEO, it is both operationally and financially more efficient for the majority of businesses to find and partner with reliable, reputable SEO experts.
The difference between choosing to work with a top SEO company or partnering with a second-rate agency is about more than just opportunity cost in revenue and growth. Bad SEO practices can also have a devastating and long-term impact.
To guide you, we’ve assembled this comprehensive article so you can rest assured you know how to evaluate the worst from the best SEO companies.
The role of an SEO company
Search engine optimisation, SEO, is all about improving your ranking in organic Google and other search engine searches. Increasing visibility and consequently driving more traffic to your website is one of the most important marketing strategies in today’s digital economy.
An SEO company is responsible for setting up more than just your website. They should be capable of creating a robust digital profile for your business that is aimed squarely at achieving the specific goals and metrics that you set.
Most companies providing digital marketing and SEO work in the following way:
- Site audit – First they will conduct a rigorous audit of your current website and digital profile to see what needs improvement.
- Competitor and market analysis – Then they will research the general market and industry you’re in and compare your offerings and digital presence to that of your competitors.
- Custom strategy – No two SEO strategies are completely alike, so all good agencies will present a custom strategy designed just for you.
- Regular reports – Data is king and with monthly progress reports both you and your SEO partner can ensure you’re on track to achieve your goals.
What the best SEO companies offer
To help you narrow down and ultimately choose the right SEO partner, here’s a list of what to look for.
A goal-oriented strategy
The top SEO companies will be very goal-oriented in their approach. Make sure any agency you consider spends the time and energy to really understand what you are trying to achieve with your SEO strategy, and then converts that into specific, measurable, and realistic goals.
Whitelabel or whitehat SEO activities
Whitehat SEO refers to approved optimisation practices that will improve your ranking. Unfortunately, there are plenty of ‘SEO providers’ who engage in blackhat practices. Not only will this mean your website won’t be properly optimised but it can cause search engines to ban or penalise your site.
Proven strategies backed by client reviews
Client reviews and testimonials are a very effective way of determining whether an SEO company walks the walk and not just talks the talk. No one knows more about the efficacy of an SEO company’s strategies than past clients who have gone through the same journey.
Clear service inclusions
Make sure that whenever an SEO firm puts forward a proposal that you look past the pretty formatting and big promises to see what the package actually offers. Before signing any contract, make sure you understand what services are being provided so that your investment is worth it.
A focus on quality
Be wary of SEO companies who over-promise or offer guarantees. SEO is often difficult and takes time to yield results. A company worth partnering with will focus more on providing quality services with measurable goals than promising everything under the sun and more.
Services provided by the top SEO companies
When looking into different SEO agencies, ask them which of the following services they offer.
- Local SEO: This means SEO geared towards area-specific online searches.
- Ecommerce SEO: This service is directed at ensuring your ecommerce platform is more visible online.
- Site audits: Comprehensive review of your current SEO and digital marketing standing.
- Custom strategy: A strategy tailored to your business and industry, with measurable metrics that work for your goals.
- Content marketing: Content marketing refers to the creation and publication of different forms of content.
- On-page optimisation: From title tags and load speed to webpage copy, on-page optimisation is focused on your website.
- Off-page optimisation: This type of optimisation focuses on SEO across your entire digital presence, including things like backlinks.
Our pick of the best SEO companies in Australia
It’s important that you conduct your own research before partnering with any SEO company. But to help you get started, here are three agencies we recommend.
This Brisbane team of SEO experts offers everything from website development to website support, ongoing digital marketing, conversion rate optimisation (CRO), and SEO. With a focus on quality and not quantity, they offer free quotes for web design, SEO and hosting services!
SEO Shark is a WA-based agency that’s built a reputation for honest services and affordable pricing. Their expertise extends beyond SEO and includes wholesome digital marketing strategies.
WEBOMAZE is based in Melbourne. They offer a free SEO audit and quote as well, but they also provide comprehensive white hat digital strategies so you can rest assured your website will see results. With many reviews and Google ratings to boot, their reputation for local SEO services is well established.
Why is finding a top SEO company so important?
Almost 90% of internet users click on a website that appears on the first page of Google. Without high quality optimisation from top SEO companies, your website is likely to be relegated to the bottom of the pecking order.
Effective optimisation will increase your business’ online visibility and improve your website’s traffic, conversion rate, and ultimately revenue. Don’t waste time and money connecting with an agency that doesn’t have best practices at hand or your best interests in mind. It’s worth taking the time and effort now in using our guide to find the top SEO company in Australia for you! It’s an investment you won’t regret.